blog post #1

The past week and a half, my group and I have been working on the reject letters. We received the letter ‘K’. You would think it would be hard ,but last year, I received the letter ‘S’. While making that letter, I learned that if you just wait until the clay is leather-hard after you built it, it will stand  perfectly and not collapse. So far, we have constructed the entire letter. Each person had their own part in the project, for instance, two people would cut out the slabs, while someone else scored them as we needed them. Then, two other people would actually construct the letter. Another person would help with making coils as we needed them also. I, personally, did a little of everything. I felt like I was very knowledgeable about slab building considering I did it for a majority of last year. For instance, I learned that using a just water instead of slip helped make the process more clean and tidy. Since I wanted this project to be successful, I wanted to be as accurate as possible. We can upon only one problem as a group. After we put all of the wall together, and we were going to put the top ‘K’ face on, we realized that it was too small. We don’t really know what happened but we were able to kind of curve the walls in and add clay to make it fit. That was really the only problem we had. As for glazing our letter in ‘Dazzle’ I noticed that it is kind of hard to come up with patterns that don’t take away from the fact that it’s a ‘K’. Like, finding a pattern that doesn’t alter the shape.